Small Updates, Big Changes Coming

We spent the past week or so interviewing contractors, getting quotes, and acting like real adults. It's been stressful, but it's what you sign on for buying an 87 year old house, so we won't complain. I think we mentioned it before, but there's no insulation in the whole house, the entire living room floor has been compromised/eaten by termites and has to be replaced, and that damage extends into the dining room. Womp womp womp. But that decision has led us to the path of opening up the wall between the living room and the dining room! It was always on the "one day" list, but it's now been expedited. We're going to remove the fireplace, but we aren't really fireplace people to begin with. Oh, and the two upper bedrooms are falling in! Holla!

Moving has been pushed back and is still a little TBD. Things at the house have quickly progressed to "over my head" status, so I've chosen to focus on small things I can accomplish instead. This weekend I started a "cat-binet," which will eventually house a litter box and supplies and stuff. We inherited a random cabinet-island-thing that lived in our dining room. I measured the cabinet and, lo and behold, it fit perfectly in the space between the wall and our utility sink! The old top wasn't secured (it was the same style as the kitchen), so off it came and I built a new one out of old baseboards. I'll post the finished product once it's actually finished.

20170820_192100.jpg

I also started working on the master closet. Remember the scary, small, closet we originally got? It's very small and it's in the corner of our master bath, so it's actually hard to photograph accurately. The shelves were too deep and at my eye level ( I'm short) and the door was tiny. It was practically non-functional for us. So we ripped it all out! I bought new brackets and basic dowels for rods, then used old baseboard wood for shelves. Reversing the layout also seemed to be a better flow into the space. It's still a tiny closet, but hopefully it will function much better for us now. Eventually I'll hang a curtain that matches the shower curtain to act as a new door, but it's white and there's about to be a lot of dust. Also the camera battery died so the progress picture is from my phone. I promise the short dowel is level. 

closet BA.jpg

That about wraps it for this past week. We've hired a contractor and Logan is going to do a write up of that process later. Of course we'll keep you posted along the way. Big changes are coming!