Work downstairs has reached a point where more qualified people should take over the big projects (like ripping up the rotting floors and replacing the joists). But those big projects start tomorrow! We are so excited. Logan has already started taking out the wall downstairs and it is going to be really awesome once everything gets opened up.
The picture above is us tearing out the blue room. The delay in construction also made us realize it makes more sense to stay in our rental through September. We're bummed, but it will be for the better overall. Since we now find ourselves with a few extra weeks of workable time, we've decided to start work upstairs now instead of after we're moved in. The blue room is up first (above)! The biggest pain in the ass is that the blue flower paneling (below) won't come off in sheets, but crumbles by the handful. Oh - there's also wood paneling behind the flowers! Joy upon joys.
We're very happy to find the beadboard under all the paneling is in really good shape! The beadboard downstairs wasn't as salvageable. It had large channels cut in it for rewiring and was smaller, more traditional beadboard. It was a little dizzying in an entire room. Upstairs seems to be in great shape, patch-able, and larger/less dizzying (see above). I'm thrilled that the plan has now shifted into saving the upstairs beadboard instead of stripping it and insulating/hanging drywall. Now we're going to remove sections, blow in insulation, and patch/paint everything. It's going to look so good - and be cheaper!
The other gem from work this weekend is finding the original doors still installed! They had been covered on both sides with paneling to match the walls around them. I totally forgot to snap a proper before and after pic, but the below will do. The original doors are gorgeous. Left is facing outward into the upstairs landing, right is the original door inside the bedroom. <insert all the heart eye emojis>
Be sure to keep checking Facebook for daily updates once construction starts tomorrow!