Hey! We have a website! Logan and I thought having a dedicated space to record our house progress would be fun as well as a great way to keep all our family and friends in the loop. We'll do our best to post weekly.
We're on the final days of the first week at the Farmhouse. I promise I'm not delusional - it's been awesome! We closed Monday and were able to finally show the house off to our family here (they couldn't make it to any prior showings). They're just as excited as we are!
We began tearing things up Tuesday night, starting with the carpets. Not only were the existing carpets not our taste, they were worn out and needed to be replaced. By Thursday all the carpets were out and we had found some hardwoods! With the removal of the carpets though came subfloor issues (big holes, you can see dirt). We also started working on taking out some of the drop ceilings. We found beadboard under those! Score!
Saturday brought our first full workday at the house. It also brought a handyman. Holes in the subfloor are a bit out of my range. We found a fair amount of old termite damage, no insulation, and learned that the brown room was about to fall in. We knew the house would come with both good and bad surprises, so we're choosing to be grateful we found it now...and not when someone fell through the floor. We also learned that the reason there is paneling everywhere is because whenever the house was rewired the electrician just hacked channels into the vintage beadboard, chose not to insulate the walls at the time, and covered everything up with cheap paneling. At least the fact that they didn't glue it made for easy removal (top image is after removal in the master bedroom). We'll try to salvage as much of the original beadboard as we can, but the walls will eventually be replaced by drywall with lots of insulation.
Project priorities have shifted around significantly in the last 12 hours, but hey...that's life! You've gotta roll with the punches.